Our lives are so busy at times that it can be all too easy to focus only on the negative and tiring things that have happened during the week. To counteract this, every week I join the #HappyDaysLinky run by the lovely Katy (whatkatysaid.com) and Sian (quitefranklyshesaid.com) to reflect on all the moments of the past week that have made me happy.
It has been half-term here this week and it’s most definitely been a week of two halves. The first was action packed and full of fun, the second involved pain and taking it easy. On Wednesday morning I somehow hurt my neck, possibly a trapped nerve, and this sent all the muscles into my neck, shoulders and back into spasm. Not only has it been extremely painful but the limited mobility meant we weren’t able to do a great deal during the second half of the week. It’s also put me severely behind on the blog, even with taking time off from the Words To Live By Series this week. If you have left me comments/messages I promise I will catch up over the course of the next week. Pain aside, there have been plenty of happy moments to celebrate this week:
- On Sunday we went to visit my parents and all went out to lunch. Afterwards we went for a walk along the river and to a nearby park. One of M’s best friends also happened to be in the park too so they had great fun together and L discovered the sandpit. She spent ages filling up a bucket with her bare hands and getting me to turn it out before quickly bashing it down and starting again. She put so much concentration into it and must have repeated it 50 times. I think she would have stayed there all day if we’d let her.
- On Monday I downloaded a Treasure Trail for a nearby town and we set off on what should have been a two hour treasure hunt. As soon as we left the house though the heavens opened and we were drenched in seconds. I did think this might put the kids off but they were still happy to carry on and we had a great time. After two hours though we’d only completed about a third of the trail owing to the fact that L insisted on walking everywhere despite being so tired after the first hour she could barely move. M had a hospital appointment later in the afternoon so we had to abandon the rest of the hunt and will pick it up from where we left off another day. I’ll be sure to write a post about it when we complete it.
- When I came downstairs after putting L to bed I discovered that M had not only cleared all the toys away, he had also left me this message with his Kapla blocks:
- On Tuesday we went to Richmond Castle. It’s a place I used to visit quite a bit as a kid but haven’t been in years. I did worry it might be really busy with it being half-term but it actually wasn’t too bad at all. The kids had a great time and ran themselves ragged all day. We took a picnic too and ate it in the gardens where the kids spent ages running and rolling up and down the hills. I had planned to post about it this week but my neck had other ideas, hopefully I’ll have it up next week once I’ve sorted through the hundreds of photos I took! UPDATE: This post is now up and you can read all about it here – Richmond Castle: A great day out for all the family
- On Wednesday the plan was to drop L off at my parent’s house and then take M out for the day just the two of us. He came downstairs so excited that morning that when I hurt my neck I didn’t have the heart to cancel. It wasn’t easy, and there may have been a few quiet tears, but we did have a lovely day. We went to Pizza Hut for an all you can eat buffet lunch (what’s not to love about that?), then a little wonder around the shops to get him some new jeans. There were a couple of fairground rides in the town so M had a go on the teacups and as he was the only one on the ride the attendant gave him lots of spins. We then went to the cinema to see The LEGO Batman Movie which was brilliant.
- On Wednesday night I picked L up from my parents and M stayed there for a sleepover. It was the perfect end to the day for him as he got to stay up playing computer games with my Dad!
- My Go With The Flow post was picked as the #FamilyFun Number One over on twotinyhands.co.uk and tammymum.com
- On Thursday L had a routine hospital appointment and made friends with another little girl in the waiting room. It was so cute seeing them run around and play together.
- My Go With The Flow post was featured on this weeks #SharingTheBlogLove Blogger Showcase over on dearbearandbeany.com
- On Friday M had his best friend round for the day. It was originally planned for 10am-1pm but they were being so good we extended it to 3pm. That one earned me some serious mummy points! They spent pretty much the entire time building lego models up in his room. It now looks like someone threw a grenade in there and you can’t actually see the floor but it was great seeing them have so much fun and get so involved in what they were building together.
- Today we are having a lazy day at home and although it has taken me a few sittings to be able to write this, the pain in my neck is easing slightly and I’m regaining a bit more movement so that’s a good sign.
What has made you happy this week?