I had thoroughly been expecting this week to be a little rough. M isn’t the greatest fan of school and the start of a new term is usually a time of stress for him and us, but I have been pleasantly surprised. We have actually had a really good week. Here are my favourite bits:
- Instead of spending the last day of the holidays rushing around getting everything sorted for the start of term I got it out of the way on Sunday when the weather was rubbish and we spent the Monday (M started back on Tuesday) having a lovely day out at Butterfly World and Preston Park. It was so relaxing and fun that I think it really helped set the tone for the week ahead.
- M’s first day back went without a hitch (despite me sleeping in for the first time in months, oops!). We were all ready on time and had a lovely slow walk to school and as soon as M was reunited with his best friend he never looked back, literally!
- As a treat for M’s first day back at school we met up with my parents for a lovely pub tea. (not having to cook is always cause for celebration!)
- We took a different route back from school on Wednesday morning and there were loads of crunch leaves against the wall and across the pavement. L had great fun walking through them and listening to the crunch. It was a little sad to acknowledge the end of summer but I do like autumn leaves!
- Coming back from school on Thursday evening L had everyone laughing by running down the street waving her hands in the air shouting ‘Yay!” over and over (she had copied M’s response to me saying we were having pasta bake for tea and taken it to a whole new level).
- My sister-in-law is visiting the in-laws this weekend so we went round after school on Friday and M and L got to play with their little cousin and we stayed for tea (another night of no cooking!!!) It was great to catch up and lovely seeing the kids all getting on so well.
- This morning we went to a local soft play centre to meet with a friend and her son. Its place we always used to go to when our boys were small and it was great to go back and reminisce and see L exploring the place too.
- As I am writing this M is out with the friend we met up with earlier. they have all gone out for a bike ride so I am having some unexpected peace while L is still napping.
How has your week been?