Our lives are so busy at times that it can be all too easy to focus only on the negative and tiring things that have happened during the week. To counteract this, every week I join the #HappyDaysLinky run by the lovely Katy (whatkatysaid.com) and Sian (quitefranklyshesaid.com) to reflect on all the moments of the past week that have made me happy.
For once, the weather seems to have been with us this half-term and we have certainly made the most of every minute. With the exception of yesterday we have had some form of day out every single day, and that has made us all very happy. With so many great memories I can’t possibly fit everything into one post so I will be writing a couple of days out posts over the next week or so, but here are the highlights:
- While walking the dogs last Saturday morning the kids had great fun chasing each other round a field and every now and then M would collect L some dandelions, it was really sweet.
- In the afternoon we took the kids to the local fair that arrives every Whit bank holiday weekend.
- On Sunday we went to Barford Raceway to watch the stock car racing and at the end they had a caravan race. These are old stripped down caravans pulled by the banger cars that have been racing and crashing all day. Needless to say there were no caravans (or many cars) left intact by the end. We always have a great day out there but this was the first year that L really got interested and involved. At the start of each race the kids would pick their favourite and cheer for it, L always picked the only pink one and would jump up and down for it. As we were leaving we happened to walk past it and she got so excited having her picture taken with it.
- On Monday we had planned to go to the local carnival like we do every year. It was pouring with rain though and none of us felt like standing in the street for an hour and a half just to watch a few floats, so we decided to head to Whitby instead. The weather app said it wasn’t raining there but it didn’t mention anything about the thick fog! I’ll write more about this trip later in the week but let’s just say that the impromptu trips always turn out to be the best don’t they? There was the pier, climbing the lighthouse, donkey rides on the beach, climbing the famous steps and a boat ride!
- I have been visiting Bollihope Common since I was around 7yrs old but on Tuesday we decided to explore the area of Bollihope Burn which is just round the corner. We may have discovered a new favourite place to take the dogs on weekends. We found some old lime kilns, a cave and the old quarry site. Walking between the two cliffs at one point felt like something out of Lord of The Rings.
- On Wednesday we headed to Saltburn-by-the-Sea for a day on the beach. It was lovely and sunny but the strong winds made it very chilly. At one point we thought we’d be leaving after just an hour, then we discovered you could hire wind-breakers and it was a game changer. I’ll be writing more about Saltburn in another post too.
- On Thursday we had originally planned a trip to Windermere in the Lake District but the kids requested another day at the beach, so we headed back to Saltburn again. Although overcast at times the wind had changed direction and it was a much warmer day. We even hired a body board for M to take in the sea and later on my parents drove over to meet us there too.
- Yesterday we decided to have a quiet day at home but I did take M for a much needed haircut. He’s wanted to keep it long for ages now and only usually has a tiny trim, but he surprised us all and decided to go quite short for him. He’s not too keen yet and think it makes him look too young but we love it because he looks like our little boy again and we can actually see his face. He hasn’t let me take a picture yet but I’m sure you’ll see one on Instagram by the end of the day.
We’ll be heading out somewhere with the dogs today and then taking M’s go-kart out on Sunday so the fun’s not over yet.
How about you? What have you got up to this half-term? Anything planned for the weekend?
3 thoughts on “Happy Days: Cars, Caves and Beaches”
Sounds like it’s been a good week. Any week that involved the beach has to be good!
Emma T recently posted…My Sunday Photo – watering hole
What a busy, fun week you’ve had. And yes, the random ones tend to turn out the most memorable! #happydayslinky
Carol Cameleon recently posted…How to make a Father’s Day card with a difference ~ #IfShesHappyImHappy
Oh that race day looks so much fun – although my heart would be in my mouth the whole time! Gorgeous photos at the beach! Thank you for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky xx
Katy (What Katy Said) recently posted…Moving onto baby-led with OXO Tot