Our lives are so busy at times that it can be all too easy to focus only on the negative and tiring things that have happened during the week. To counteract this, every week I join the #HappyDaysLinky run by the lovely Katy (whatkatysaid.com) and Sian (quitefranklyshesaid.com) to reflect on all the moments of the past week that have made me happy.
This post contains affiliate links
This past week has been a tough one as it’s been the first full week with Keith away. The kids always seem outwardly ok but there have been a lot of late nights where they can’t sleep or wake up and L in particular has been really miserable all week. It usually settles down after the first week as they become used to the new routine so fingers crossed for next week. There have been happy moments too though:
- The weather was glorious last weekend. We didn’t venture far as the car was in need of new tyres (all done now) and we were all a bit down, so we spent it in the garden with the paddling pool. The kids had a great time going out for a splash whenever they wanted and coming back in every now and then to just sit and cool down. On the Sunday my parents came over for a few hours so I was able to see my Dad and give him his Father’s Day present. A visit from their grandparents always cheers the kids up but L wasn’t too happy when it was time for them to leave and hid my mum’s shoes, it was so funny.
- On Monday morning with M at school and L at nursery for a couple of hours I usually try to get some writing done but the weather was so nice I decided to spend it just chilling in the garden and enjoying the peace and quiet, it was bliss. It was also the last nice weather we had so I’m glad I did.
- M had a hospital appointment on Monday afternoon to check his eyes and he’s finally been discharged after four very long years. He’s over the moon that eye drops and eye patches are a thing of the past.
- L has been riding her scooter everywhere and is getting really fast, she just needs to learn to steer! It has made the school run so much faster.
- My post 5 Reasons Why The End Of Nap Time Isn’t The End Of The World was chosen as one of the favourites on three different linkies this week – #DeamTeam, #FamilyFun and #SharingTheBlogLove
- L has been trying her hadn’t at hiding this week. I have to admit, at one point I didn’t spot her hiding behind the cushion and briefly panicked she’d somehow got out the front door without me hearing. When I did spot her though it made me laugh, and when when I got up close she turned me into a frog and continued to hide while giggling.
- I took L to the library. We always used to go every three weeks but she’s not been interested in books at all for a few months now and didn’t even want stories at bedtime. Thankfully that has changed over the past two weeks so we went to get her some new books to read and she loved it. As soon as M got home from school she wanted him to read to her, that sight always melts my heart.
- L isn’t the only one getting back into reading. This past week M has spent 30 minutes every night reading before bed. He started with a book called Creature Teacher and when I went up to tell him it was light’s out he was so animated and excited and quickly trying to tell me all the funny bits that had happened, it was great to see. He’s finished that one now and is re-reading one of his Captain Underpants books.
Later today we are off to an old Roman Fort where they have a re-enactment happening and will be showcasing the findings from the latest dig. M is really into his history so he’ll love this.
How about you? What has made you smile this week? Do you have any nice pans for the weekend?