Today is a day of celebration. Not only is this little blog of mine one year old but it’s also my dad’s birthday, so first of all Happy Birthday Dad! It only feels like two minutes since I wrote my 6 months of blogging post but I seem to have come so far since then, so here is a brief recap of what I have learnt and achieved since then:
What I Have Learnt
- I am capable of far more than I give myself credit for and I CAN do this.
- Facebook groups are amazing for both support and for finding opportunities. Aby of You Baby Me Mummy has a great post with 10 Facebook groups to help your blog. Joining these groups was a huge turning point for me, so if you haven’t yet, do go check it out.
- Twitter is also a great place to find opportunities, search #bloggerswanted #PRrequest and #bloggersrequired.
- Linkies are a hard addiction to break. I have written many times before about my love of linkies and how I join far too many. I have cut down by about a third but I still get a little twitchy if I’m unable to join one of my favourites.
- Writing round-up/gift guide style posts is a lot more work than you would think! I published my first one yesterday (15 products to make your family holiday run a little smoother this year) and I have a gift guide for 3yr old girls coming up next week. Despite being extremely hard work though those two posts have put me in touch with a lot of brands and PR companies and yesterday was my second best day ever in term of pageviews. Next time I will just start the ball rolling a whole lot sooner.
- Scheduling is the way forward. I’ve been using SocialOomph for a few months now and I LOVE it. My traffic from twitter is definitely up, even on the days I don’t post anything because all my previous posts are constantly being shared without me having to lift a finger after the initial setting up. I’ve also joined Tailwind and being able to spend an hour a week on Pinterest and know that my schedule is set for the next 1-2 weeks is fantastic. I’m not using it to its optimum potential yet but I am defiantly getting more traffic as a result.
What I Have Achieved
- Together with Susie of This Is Me Now we have set up and run a really successful Instagram community that now has over 4k photos linked up. You can find out more here – #funseekingids – a new Instagram community.
- I have registered as self-employed and started making money form my blog, albeit it a small amount so far.
- I have worked with some amazing brands and built up a good contact list.
- I attended my first blogging conference (BlogOnMSI). It was really scary but everyone was really nice and I had a great time. It was also amazing to meet Susie for the first time after speaking via email for so long.
- I have finally plucked up the courage to pitch for work and it is starting to pay off.
- I created a new blog header and now have my own business cards – very grown up.
- I’ve started a guest posting series called ‘Tales From The Other Side Of …’ and have had some amazing bloggers take part. Please drop me a line if you want to join in too.
- I have co-hosted the #KCACOLS linky with the lovely Franca of A Moment With Franca. Given my previously mentioned love of linkies this was a biggie for me and I’m doing it again in September!
- I’m going to BlogOnXmas in September. I’m hoping I’ll be a little less nervous this time round and actually pluck up the courage to speak to more people.
- I really want to grow my subscriber list (you can join below if you like as a little birthday gift x).
- I’ve signed up for Aby of You Baby Me Mummy’s new free course – Ignite You Audience.
- I have been talking with another blogger about potentially setting up a group Pinterest Board, we just need to think of a name and focus for it. If you have any suggestions please leave them in the comments below.
- I really want to do some more guest blogging. I have a few I need to complete it’s just finding the time at the minute.
- I would love to start making a more regular income from my blog.
Apparently most blogs don’t make it to their first year, or start to fizzle out around this time as people lose their passion for it when the time and effort involved becomes too much. For me, this blog has given me back a sense of self and my confidence has grown in all areas of my life as a result. I am more passionate about it now than I was at the start and I hope I’ll be here, doing what I love, for many years to come. If you’re thinking about setting up a blog of your own just go for it. If you’re looking for a web hosting company I can highly recommend TSO Host and if you click through this link and use the code BChaos you can get 10% off.
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and share my posts over the last year, you have made me one very happy lady x
*This post contains affiliate links. This will make no difference to the price you pay (except where a discount code is given, then you get it cheaper), but I may earn a small commission in accordance with my disclosure policy.